The Compact

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Itasca County Habitat for Humanity ReStore proudly presents their very own tree hugging granola crunching earth lover: me!

Two years ago, I resolved not to buy anything new, anymore. I got the idea from some fellow environmentalists out in San Francisco who formed a group called The Compact. Their aims:

1. To go beyond recycling
2. To reduce clutter and waste in their homes
3. To simplify their lives

Their principles:

1. To buy no new products of any kind
2. Borrow, barter, or buy used

Yes there are a few exceptions--food, toiletries, and cleaning supplies. And underwear. Sorry Goodwill, I just can't bring myself to buy your panties, and I'm sorry if I ever "donated" any to your establishment.

Making the Compact myself was pretty simple. I was in college at the time for one thing. For another, I don't appreciate a brand new product nearly as much as finding that one-of-a-kind item at a thrift store.

Lately, my best finds have been furniture. Earlier this year, I found two gorgeous chairs. They matched, looked like something out of the Victoria era, and were upholstered in pink velvet. To go with the chairs, I also found a squishy yellow couch. These furnishings now reside at the Coe College EcoHouse, where I'm confident they are well loved. There's no way I could have afforded these items brand new, and the kind of new furniture in my price range is of the beanbag and blow-up type.

Nowadays, I've been exploring the richness of the color brown for my latest apartment. I lucked out at the ReStore in Grand Rapids--a leather button back chair they were giving away for free! I borrowed my dad's guitar so as to teach myself to play. And just today, one of the volunteers at the Itasca County ReStore is giving me a few pounds of home-cured venison in exchange for my admiration of his hunting prowess.

No longer are my purchases a hasty affair in a windowless box, negotiated by an anonymous cashier. My finds are forged through human connections and resourcefulness. When I do find an item I've been looking for, it's a rush.

Bargain hunters, it's time to start feeling smug. We're not only saving money, we're also doing our part to save the planet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment